I was reluctant to glue the top to the frame, because I thought it would be a good idea to leave open the option of removing the top should I need to in the future (for example, maybe I want to install some drawers or something), so instead I cut some 1-1/2"x1-1/2" scrap wood into small chunks as shown. I used my skill saw because it was easier on these small pieces than dragging out the big circular saw.
|I cut six small pieces from this scrap wood using my jigsaw.|
|I clamped the pieces to the frame, making sure the tops are flush.|
|To mount these pieces, I first drilled a pilot hole and then used screws.|
|The top was then clamped to the frame.|
|The top was then screwed in place.|
|I then added the centre support for the bench top.|
|Next the centre support for the shelf was added.|
|Here is a photo showing both supports in place.|
|I used a fairly simple method for determining the cuts. Measuring is sometimes over-rated!|
|I then extended the relevant lines to the edge.|
|A jigsaw is ideal for this cut.|
|I trimmed the shelf to size, then cut in in half to facilitate installation.|
|Screwing the shelf down marked the final step in the bench's assembly.|
|With a bit of sanding, the project is complete!|
I hope you have enjoyed following along on my first real woodworking project on this blog! If I don't have it up tonight, then soon I will post some details about this project, including the final schematics, on the 'projects' page. I hope you will join me again when I begin my next project!